The BHA is hiring a commissioner and a deputy commissioner. Learn more.


DUI Services


In accordance with 2 CCR 502-1 Behavioral Health Rules, the Behavioral Health Administration (BHA) develops and enforces rules for licensed Level I and Level II DUI education and treatment programs. "Level I and Level II Education, Therapy, or Treatment" means an approved alcohol and drug driving safety education or treatment program as defined in 42-4-1301.3(3)(c)(IV), C.R.S.

Level I and Level II Services can only be completed at programs licensed by BHA to provide these services. Licensed programs must use an BHA-approved, DUI-specific curriculum in the delivery of Level I and Level II services. DUI education and therapy services must be provided in person, face-to-face.

What is Level I Education?

Level I Education consists of 12 hours of DUI education over a minimum 3-day period, not more than 4 hours can be conducted in one calendar day. This level is typically conducted in a group or class. Level I Education is not appropriate for someone who has had more than one impaired driving offense, or one offense with a high BAC or refusal.

What is Level II Education?

Level II Education consists of 24 hours of DUI education over 12 weeks. Typically conducted in a group setting, class size is limited to not more than 12 regularly attending. Level II Education can be recommended by itself or may be followed by Level II Therapy.

What is Level II Therapy?

When Level II Therapy is required, it follows Level II Education and can range in length from 5 to 10 months, depending on the track assigned. Track assignment depends on whether a person has prior impaired driving offenses, their BAC (or refusal to take a test) and other clinical indicators. These track recommendations are made by the alcohol/drug evaluator (probation) or in the absence of an evaluation, the DUI licensed treatment agency using BHA guidelines for placement.

The following are the Level II therapy track guidelines for impaired driving offenses on or after 01/01/14:

  • Track A: A minimum of 42 hours over at least 21 weeks, usually for a first-time offender with a BAC below 0.15,
  • Track B: A minimum of 52 hours over at least 26 weeks, usually for a first-time offender with a BAC of 0.15 or above or refusal,
  • Track C: A minimum of 68 hours over at least 34 weeks, usually for someone with a prior DWAI/DUI, and a BAC below 0.15,
  • Track D: A minimum of 86 hours over at least 43 weeks, usually for someone with a prior DWAI/DUI, and a BAC of 0.15 or above or refusal.
What is Level II Four Plus/Track F?

Level II Four Plus, also known as Track F, is a specialized treatment program for those individuals who have had four or more impaired driving offenses (DUI/DWAI). This treatment may be required by the courts/probation whether the last impaired driving offense was a misdemeanor or a felony. This specialized treatment is not like traditional DUI Level II Education or Level II Therapy, and typically does not include any traditional Level II DUI services. Although Level II Four Plus consists of a minimum of 18 months and a minimum of 180 clinical contact hours, successful completion is not attained by completion of months or hours, but by the demonstration and internalization of competencies within four phases of treatment.

Access the Level II Four Plus Packet

All Level II Four Plus treatment services are determined by a comprehensive clinical assessment conducted by a provider licensed specifically for this service. A directory of providers "Licensed Level II Four Plus Agencies" can be located under Service Agency Directories below.

Service Agency Directories
Proof of Attendance in DUI Classes

Programs licensed by BHA to provide DUI services are required to furnish a copy of the discharge DRS (Discharge or DUI/DWAI Referral Summary) to clients at no charge, within ten business days following client discharge from education/treatment.

If you are trying to get your driver's license reinstated and need documentation (DRS) that you completed classes, you can contact the agency where you attended to obtain the DRS.

If you are unable to get this information from the agency, the BHA may have it in our database. You must complete a Consent for the Release of Confidential Information form (English / Spanish) in order for the BHA to search for this information in our database. Completed forms must be faxed, mailed or hand delivered to the BHA. BHA contact information is on the form.

Motor Vehicle/Driver's License Requirements

A program the court orders you to complete may differ from your Motor Vehicle reinstatement requirements. Education and therapy classes must begin after the date of your most recent violation. MVD Level II requirements always include both Level II Education and Level II Therapy.

Motor vehicle law is complicated and there are many variables that impact a person's driver's license status and conditions for reinstatement. The Division of Motor Vehicles, Driver Control customer service number (303.205.5613) can be called for specific information about the requirements for driver's license reinstatement. Or you can visit the motor vehicle website for additional information.

DUI Providers - Ignition Interlock Education and Treatment

The BHA requires DUI licensed programs to include education about interlocks in their education groups, screen their DUI clients for interlock usage and requirements, and offer interlock counseling to those clients who are eligible. Further, DUI counselors must be trained in interlock counseling.

DUI Providers - Impaired Driving (DUI/DWAI) Curricula Training Links

Driving with Care

  • Driving with Care – Education and Therapy
  • Interlock Enhancement Counseling
  • Driving with Care for Underage Impaired Drinking Drivers

Conducted by Ignite Change Consulting

The Change Companies

  • Colorado IDEP - Education
  • Colorado MEE - Therapy

Conducted by The Change Companies
Hosted by Odyssey Training Center

Prevention Research Institute

  • Prime for Life - Education
  • Prime Solutions – Therapy

Conducted by Prevention Research Institute

DUI Providers - Legal Supplement

Download the 2017 DUI Education Legal Supplement. This is a Colorado-specific legal supplement that must be used with all DUI Level I and Level II Education programs. The supplement will be updated as DUI related laws change.

DUI Frequently Asked Questions
  • Colorado Ignition Interlock Evaluation Report (Posted January 2019) - Contains findings from a study evaluating the impacts of Colorado's ignition interlock program on impaired driving.
  • Track Placement - OBH Licensed DUI agencies may use these guidelines and charts to place persons on an appropriate track when an evaluation was not completed or when evaluation information is not available.

If you have specific questions regarding DUI/DWAI offender education and treatment, please contact any of these Behavioral Health Administration staff:

Webster Hendricks
Manager, DUI Services Program
P 303.866.7499

Jackie Urioste, BSCJ, NCAC II,CAT
Criminal Justice Data Specialist

For additional information contact OBH at 303.866.7400